Last updated December 2, 2022
COVID-19 protocols in effect: The University issued a message on October 17, 2022, about updated COVID-19 masking measures. Read the full message or scroll down to review our archived messages about COVID-19.
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been felt around the world, including at the University of Prince Edward Island. Although COVID-19 has changed aspects of how we teach and learn, UPEI remains committed to providing high quality education, as well as access to engaging and rewarding learning experiences, in a safe and responsible manner. We will continue to monitor evolving public health conditions and base our campus operations on guidance from the PEI Chief Public Health Office (PEI-CPHO) to ensure the successful delivery of the 2022–2023 academic year.
UPEI continues to monitor evolving public health conditions and base our campus operations on guidance from the PEI Chief Public Health Office. We will post updates to these web pages as soon as they become available and communicate any changes directly with members of the campus community by email.
While many aspects of our lives have returned to pre-pandemic normal, COVID-19 remains very prevalent on PEI, and the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remains our top priority.
The University will continue to keep the UPEI community updated about risks and health and PEI-CPHO guidance associated with COVID-19 as early as possible. We will also continue to make policy and operational changes with caution and a science-based approach—making necessary adjustments to our protocols as the COVID-19 situation evolves and as our unique university environment warrants.
COVID-19 Protocols in effect for the 2022 Fall Academic Semester
Masks are mandatory in academic instructional spaces (effective October 17, 2022)
Until further notice, masks continue to be required in
- all instructional spaces such as classrooms, laboratories, studios, lecture theatres, and performing arts spaces unless you are able to be physically distanced by 2 metres/six feet.
- specific clinical areas such as the UPEI Health and Wellness Centre and AVC Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
In all other spaces on campus, masks are strongly encouraged but not mandatory.
All masks are helpful, but you are encouraged to wear the highest quality, properly fitting mask you can source. Please refer to the Government of PEI’s Wearing Masks in the Community and Workplaces for more information.
In addition to masking, we ask that you continue to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses by
- getting fully vaccinated and/or your booster shots when eligible
Vaccination is an important way to prevent serious illness, but vaccines become less effective over time, so it’s important to keep your vaccines current to help protect you and others. You are strongly encouraged to become fully vaccinated, including obtaining your booster shots, when eligible and where possible. Visit the Government of PEI’s COVID-19 vaccine web page to learn about expanded options to get vaccinated and booster doses. (Please note: all international students over the age of 18 travelling to Canada need to be fully vaccinated—visit the Government of Canada page for more information.)
- employing good hand hygiene
Washing your hands often, especially after touching your face, blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, using the restroom or coming into contact with frequently touched surfaces in public places, remains a great defence in preventing the spread of COVID-19. When sneezing or coughing, cover your nose and mouth, and wash your hands after.
- staying home if you feel sick, and get tested if you have COVID-19 symptoms
If you are showing symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home. Follow the PEI-CPHO’s guidance and use their online assessment tool to determine whether you need a PCR or rapid test.
While the PEI-CPHO ended the mandatory isolation requirement on November 30, 2022, UPEI still asks that you stay home if you test positive and are feeling sick. You should stay home until all of the following apply to you: your symptoms have been improving for at least 24 hours (or 48 hours if you had nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea); you do not have a fever; you do not develop any additional symptoms.
Students who are ill and require academic accommodations for missed classes, assignments, midterms, or tests are to contact their instructors. Rapid testing kits are available at the Residence Services desk in Bill and Denise Andrew Hall for residence students; UPEI Health and Wellness Centre from 8:30 am–12 noon and 1–4 pm, Monday to Friday; and Panther Central desk at the UPEI Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre during operating hours.
- keeping up to date with the latest information from the PEI-CPHO and UPEI
UPEI will update the campus community via email and at samankonjed.com/covid-19-information as information becomes available; however, the best source for the latest information about the COVID-19 situation and measures on PEI is the provincial COVID-19 website.
- Student Classroom Protocol
- Student Laboratory Protocol
- UPEI COVID-19 Pandemic Outbreak Plan
- International Student Guide
- UPEI Health, Safety, and Environment website
- UPEI Health and Wellness Centre website
University updates and messages
We actively work with the PEI Chief Public Health Office and other networks to keep the UPEI community updated about risks and health and safety guidance associated with COVID-19. UPEI began communicating to students, staff, and faculty about COVID-19 in January 2020, sharing appropriate information from official government sources. Messages to the campus community are distributed by email and posted to the samankonjed.com website (see below).
Read previous messages:
- December 2, 2022– Reminder from the President: Protect yourself and others—stay home if you are sick
- October 17, 2022 – Masking remains required in instructional spaces; mask restrictions ease elsewhere on campus
- August 29, 2022 – REMINDER! COVID-19 protocols in effect for the 2022 Fall Academic Semester
- August 9, 2022 – Message from the President: COVID-19 Update for the 2022 Fall Academic Semester
- June 14, 2022 – Message from the President: COVID-19 Update re: Masking
- April 12, 2022 – Message from the President: UPEI COVID-19 protocols after April 30
- April 1, 2022 – Message from the President: COVID-19 protocols to remain in place
- February 16, 2022 – Message from the President: In-person teaching and learning to resume February 28
- January 21, 2022 – Message from the President: Online delivery for 2022 Winter Academic Semester extended until February 27
- January 19, 2022 – Message from the President: Enhanced COVID-19 restrictions announced by PEI-CPHO
- January 14, 2022 – Message from the President: New guidance for post-secondary education on PEI
- January 6, 2022 – Message from the President: Extension of online learning/Updated Guidance
- December 21, 2021 – Message from the President: Important Update on the 2022 Winter Academic Semester
- December 17, 2021 – Message from the President: New COVID-19 measures at UPEI
- December 8, 2021 – Possible COVID-19 Exposure Site on Campus
- November 2, 2021 – Message to Students re: 2022 Winter Academic Semester
- September 14, 2021 – Reminder! (to University community): Please submit your Vaccination Attestation/Exemption
- September 13, 2021 – Reminder to students: Submit your Vaccination Attestation/Exemption Form
- August 31, 2021 – Proof of vaccination now required as part of UPEI COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
- August 30, 2021 – UPEI to re-introduce mandatory masking effective September 8, 2021
- August 27, 2021 – UPDATE: UPEI Mandatory Vaccination Policy and Process
- August 24, 2021 – Message from the President: UPEI implementing mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations
- August 24, 2021 – Message to students about mandatory vaccinations
- August 13, 2021 – Message from the Office of the V-P Academic and Research: Safe Return to Campus—Fall 2021
- July 26, 2021 – Message to Students: Important information for students travelling to PEI for the 2021 fall semester
- July 9, 2021 – Update on Mask-Wearing Guidance
- June 10, 2021 – Message from the AVP of Students and Registrar: UPEI encourages students get vaccinated
- March 3, 2021 – UPDATE: In-person activities to resume at UPEI, effective Thursday, March 4, 2021
- February 28, 2021 – Urgent Update: New COVID-19 measures at UPEI, effective immediately
- February 24, 2021 – Update to Students on the UPEI 2021 Summer and Fall academic semesters
- January 2, 2021 – Message from the VPs: UPEI to resume Stage Three operations on January 4, 2021
- December 6, 2020 – Message from the AVP of Students and Registrar: UPEI suspends in-person classes
- December 6, 2020 – Message from the President: UPEI moving back to essential services model
- November 26, 2020 – Updates re: Pre-Travel Requirements for travelling to and from PEI
- November 18, 2020 – Message from the VPs: Masks to become mandatory in all indoor public spaces on PEI
- November 2, 2020 – Message from the AVP Students & Registrar re: Travelling/Leaving PEI over the Holiday break
- October 22, 2020 – UPEI Health Guidance Update: Easing of Mandatory Mask-Wearing Measure
- October 7, 2020 – Message from the AVP Students & Registrar re: Travel requirements during Thanksgiving/Fall Reading Week
- September 25, 2020 – Message from the VP Academic and Research re: 2021 Winter Semester
- September 9, 2020 – Message from the President: Welcome to the 2020 Fall Academic Semester
- September 3, 2020 – New: Masks mandatory in UPEI campus buildings
- July 27, 2020 – Message from the President: Details for Stage Three
- June 12, 2020 – Message from the President: Step by Step
- June 5, 2020 – Message from the President: Details for Stage Two of UPEI's Operational Ease-Back Plan
- May 29, 2020 – Message from the President: Forging ahead to Fall 2020
- May 22, 2020 – Message from the President: Stage One begins Monday
- May 15, 2020 – Message from the President: A blended framework for the 2020 Fall Semester
- May 8, 2020 – Message from the President: UPEI’s Operational Ease-Back Plan
- May 1, 2020 – Message from the President: Planning the way forward
- April 23, 2020 – Message from the President: Updates about COVID-19 Measures & the Class of 2020
- April 16, 2020 – Message from the President: Supporting and taking care of one another
- April 9, 2020 – Message from the President: Signs of Spring
- April 3, 2020 – Message from the President: Let's take comfort in our united UPEI front
- March 27, 2020 – Message from the President: Building a stronger, more connected UPEI community
- March 20, 2020 – Message from the President: Update, reminder, and thank you
- March 17, 2020 – Message from the President: Update on COVID-19 measures
- March 16, 2020 – Message from the President re: Convocation 2020 and spring session
- March 15, 2020 – URGENT UPDATE re: COVID-19 measures at UPEI
- March 13, 2020 – Message to UPEI Students regarding COVID-19
- March 11, 2020 – COVID-19 Update: UPEI travel restrictions expanded, FAQ now available
- March 3, 2020 – COVID-19 update from the Vice-President Administration and Finance
- February 4, 2020 – Update on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- January 23, 2020 – Information regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus infection outbreak in China